This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Update

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi

do we have an update as to when we can expect the next release

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Edited Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Hi Richard,

Since Nightly Build 2012.03.11 there are the following commited changes:

• Work item #1132 UnitOfWork - DataPortalCreate LoadProperty can use "crit" the wrong way
  • Work item #1134 Generate Undelete factory method
  • Work item #1135 Review summary on factory Delete<object name>
  • Do not validate objects that are not due for generation

on one un-commited change

• Work item#1080 Generate commented OnDeserialized handler

I don't think this changes are important enough to justify a new release.

Are you expecting something specific?

I must add this project isn't dead. Time is short and spare time is even shorter. I had to take some time for other projects, namely

1. CslaActionExtender
  2. Module for Csla 4.3.12 and Gizmox Visual WebGUI 6.4.0e
  3. MVVM FX for Windows Forms and Visual WebGUI

1 is mostly closed. 2 only needs publishing. 3 is giving me some trouble (MVVM Light implementation).

After MVVM FX is done, my spare time will be spent on CslaGenFork.

Regards

Tiago Freitas Leal

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Hi

thanks for the quick reply - I am having a few issues (have email these to you some time ago) - so I am following up - just interested in if this is still a live project (it's good enough to be). I will update you soon with some of the issues/errors I am getting.

One thing I am interested in was the split of users that used cslafork/csla. I started using the encapsulated DAL then gave up as every change to BO need three files to be updated - went back to usual DataAccess embedded in BO - I can see the benefit of separate DAL but only if you are working in team scenario and /or expect the application to switch backend DB.

I am a single developer - I won't be taking on projects with Oracle etc - will always stick to MSSQL. Thus the benefit of separate DAL is v.small. I think sometimes that Rocky focuses on large scale corporate scenarios - just wondered what you thought the split is over single developers like me and team based larger corporates.

I know you are v.busy and time is limited - I know you have said that development of DTO coding was next - I just doubt the benefit of DTO's (certainly for me) for all those involved - do you have a view.

Richard

Sent: 29 August 2012 11:24
To: richard@rgsoft.co.uk
Subject: Re: Update [cslagenfork:393334]

Hi Richard,

Since Nightly Build 2012.03.11 there are the following commited changes:

• Work item #1132 UnitOfWork - DataPortalCreate LoadProperty can use "crit" the wrong way
  • Work item #1134 Generate Undelete factory method
  • Work item #1135 Review summary on factory Delete<object name>
  • Do not validate objects that are not due for generation

on one un-commited change

• Work item#1080 Generate commented OnDeserialized handler

I don't think this changes are important enough to justify a new release.

Are you expecting something specific?

I must add this project isn't dead. Time is short and spare time is even shorter. I had to take some time for other projects, namely

1. CslaActionExtender
  2. Module for Csla 4.3.12 and Gizmox Visual WebGUI 6.4.0e
  3. MVVM FX for Windows Forms and Visual WebGUI

1 is mostly closed. 2 only needs publishing. 3 is giving me some trouble (MVVM Light implementation).

After MVVMFX is done, my spare time will be spent on CslaGenFork.

Regards

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi Richard,

zen8019 wrote:

I am having a few issues (have email these to you some time ago)

I have looked all over the place and found no email. Can you please re-send it to my email address?

zen8019 wrote:

One thing I am interested in was the split of users that used cslafork/csla. I started using the encapsulated DAL then gave up as every change to BO need three files to be updated - went back to usual DataAccess embedded in BO - I can see the benefit of separate DAL but only if you are working in team scenario and /or expect the application to switch backend DB.

I am a single developer - I won't be taking on projects with Oracle etc - will always stick to MSSQL. Thus the benefit of separate DAL is v.small. I think sometimes that Rocky focuses on large scale corporate scenarios - just wondered what you thought the split is over single developers like me and team based larger corporates. 

I guess CSLA has to address very different needs from single developers to large teams. For several years we didn't know how to use a DAL with CSLA and that wasn't a real problem since there was only ADO.NET around. There was some push towards database independency (namely Miguel Castro) but that was just that. When EntityFramework appeared, the data access issue became important enough and Rocky had to address this issue.

Note that having a DAL is very important when you have automatic testing (unit tests, etc) as it provides a simple way to bypass the database; for test purposes, you can use a different DAL that mocks the real database. Using a real database slows down the test suite as one has to restore the database to a known state before starting the tests. Furthermore, when using a real database each test takes longer than using a mock DAL.

Regards,

Tiago Freitas Leal