This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Is anyone using ActiveObjects w/ CSLA.NET 4?

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Hi all,

First a word about the recent posts concerning bugs: the daily/weekly time I have available to take care of CGF is reduced. I have three fronts to take care:

• users documentation and samples
  • corrective maintenance (aka bug fixing)
  • new features

While Rocky's ebooks were in the making, I took some time to bug fixing and to users documentation. Now there is enough information on the published ebooks to get CGF back on the new features track. So, samples and fixing must wait for Silverlight and DAL features.

THIS CONCERNS CSLA 4 TARGET ONLY

While designing the new features I realized the templates are full of legacy stuff:

1. Support for ActiveObject
  2. Support for DataSet Loading scheme
  3. Support for DataPortal old way of handling child objects (pre "Child_")
  4. Support for Update properties (introduced on CTP 1)

While 3) is going to disappear, 4) may go underground until I find a realiable way of doing it and 2) is just waiting for an alternative. No questions here. Templates are too complicated as they are and they must be simplified.

Back to the point, I never used ActiveObjects, I don't know if they run under CSLA.NET 4 and if no one is using them, they will also go as they are the biggest template "pollutant".

Developer
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I have never used ActiveObjects and have difficulty understanding how they could be useful except in an application that is single user, which is extremely unlikely.

So I vote for getting rid of them and simplifying the templates.

Bill

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I'm not even sure what ActiveObjects are in the context of CSLA and don't use them so I would be fine with the simplifying the templates.

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Hi all,

It's been a month since this thread was started. No one admit to use ActiveObjects. So I'm about to remove ActiveObjects support for CSLA4 target.

Any last minute requests?