This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Visual Designer

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Have you considered using this tool as a Visual Designer to create the CSLA business objects. Kind of like an Entity Frame work designer for CSLA. 

http://albinohorse.codeplex.com/

Would be a nice way to visualise models and edit them quickly. You could drag a table onto this control and visually create business objects. It would also be good for creating relationships and editing object properties. I have had a play around with it and it seems quite easy to do.

I am anxious to see direct in line SQL statements to be added to the data portals instead of separate stored procedures added to the program. I prefer SQL statements in the business objects and not in stored procs, it leaves it easier to maintain, deploy and update. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I like that idea, but CGF has more specific features than a UML designer would account for - object types, criteria etc and I'm not sure how a control designed for UML would account for these - looking at the demo it seems a bit short on features at the moment

I had the idea that possibly upgrading CGF to a WPF project would be a nice idea. There is so much more control over layout and the control templating allows a lot more power over the visual designer elements, but I've not looked at the source so I wouldn't know what's involved.

If CGF were WPF, custom controls to represent objects would be a breeze, so I think a design surface that supported a visual object tree would be relatively straightforward (compared to winforms) - especially if CGF had already implemented the treeview object relationship (you could reuse the structure for the WPF binding).