cslagenFork vs CodeSmith for CSLA v4.5 (WinRT)

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Hi tiego,
We are currently using CSLA 4 version 4.5 for WinRT (Windows 8 Store apps) and CodeSmith Generator 6.5.3 (for WinRT).
Can you please educate me on the differences between the results I would get by using cslagenFork ? In particular (but not limited to), does it support CSLA v4.5 and WinRT?
Thank you kindly.
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Hi,

The first difference is CslaGenFork can't do WinRT (the technology for "Metro" style apps, very much like Silverlight).
The second difference is the target: CslaGenFork targets CSLA.NET 4.3.

So what can you do using CslaGenFork 4.3 RC (the trunk)?
1) CSLA.NET 4.3
  • Windows Forms
  • WPF
  • Web
  • Silverlight 4 and Silverlight 5
2) CSLA.NET 4.5
  • Windows Forms
  • WPF
  • Web
Although not fully tested, code for the technologies above is the same for CSLA.NET 4.3 and 4.5. Some testing was made. Take CSLA sample ActionExtenderSample: its code was generated by CslaGenFork and was unchanged from CSLA.NET 4.3 to 4.5.

I don't do Silverlight and everyone is so quiet about it, I guess it's dead and cold, colder than Windows Forms. The buzz word is now HTML5. I don't believe WinRT will ever take over: there is a very reduced user base compared to every other technology.

CSLA.NET 4.5 is very interesting since we can use the new and much faster serializer on Windows Forms, WPF and Web applications. The NET 4.5 is also very interesting since reflection is much much faster and all applications take advantage of this feature. I have no opinion about the async/await feature but I noticed the problems with the first release of CSLA 4.5

Right now I have to maintain 2.5 sets of templates: CSLA40, CSLA40DAL DataReader and CSLA40DAL DTO. This means every feature I add (and I've added a lot of features lately) must be replicated for the 2.5 sets of templates. Since CslaGenFork can do CSLA.NET 4.5 (except Silverlight and WinRT), I prefer to use my time to add new features, and there are a lot of planned features.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM
While refactoring factory methods generation, I took a close look at the CSLA 4.5.xx (WinRT etc). If we stick to the synchronous DataPortal, Silverlight, WindowsPhone and WinRT will use the same code and since there is no local DataPortal concept, the differences between 4.3 and 4.5 code for all this family of UI technologies are minimal.

Factory
Will be a lot simpler since there is no DataPortal.ProxyModes.LocalOnly. So Silverlight will be just like WinForms/WPF code.

DataPortal
It needs even smaller changes than Factory.

So it's a go. CslaGenFork will support CSLA .NEt 4.5 using synchronous DataPortal methods.